Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Manto ware chintz toast rack


This Manto ware toast rack, made in Japan, is decorated in the Chintz style.  This style pattern replicated chintz fabrics imported into Britain from India since the 17th century.  Early versions of chintz had a more open pattern, but in the 1920s a tighter pattern was developed which became very popular.  The Manto ware copies of English patterns were created in the 1920s and 30s.



The toast rack tilted.



The backstamp which says "Manto Ware Made in Japan"  It is very faint so I can't tell what the rest of the stamp represents.

A very good article by Susan Scott can be seen here.

When my next door neighbour, Glad, was selling her house she invited me in to choose whatever I liked from her crystal cabinet - and this little toast rack took my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment