Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grimwade's Royal Winton - Sweet Pea

This gorgeous little bowl, about the size of your hand (14.5 cm by 11 cm) is made by Grimwade's Royal Winton Pottery.  Another chintz piece in the "Sweet Pea" pattern.   This Grimwade's Royal Winton chintz website gives a history of the company.  Again, Susan Scott's article on Chintz is very useful.

This backstamp was in use between 1934 and 1950 according to this website, so that makes it hard to narrow down the time frame.

I'm not sure if this should be called a sweet dish.  The examples of "bon bon dishes" seemed to have either feet or handles.



I'll have to have a think about where this came from - it may have been from my grandmother, I just forget.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - you can send it along to me to look after any time that suits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no I can't. My favorite little dish. What I find most appealing are the blues in this pattern.

    ReplyDelete